Monday, June 13, 2011

Long live the Queen!

Who doesn't love a day off? Even if it is cold and miserable outside, it's infinitely more fun than going to work - so I'd like to thank the Queen for allowing us to celebrate her birthday with a public holiday today. Which I've always wondered about, given that the Queen was actually born in April. So being the Google fan that I am, this morning I did some reading and found out the following:

It has long been customary to celebrate the Sovereign’s birthday publicly on a day during the summer, when better weather is more likely.

Since 1805, the Sovereign’s 'official' summer birthday has been marked by the Trooping the Colour ceremony, normally held on the second Saturday in June.


So, because the weather in the UK is better in June, Aussies get to celebrate in Winter. Still, I'm not complaining  - Happy official birthday Queen Liz! 

To thank the Queen for all her inspiration to little girls everywhere, who put on their 'pearls' and fancy hats and dream of growing up to be a princess - here is my card for today.



This card used my other new La-La Land Crafts stamp - Dress Up Marci. Isn't she divine? I coloured her with copics, using the green and purple from the pack as inspiration, and embellished with ribbon, lace and pearls. I bought the yellow butterfly paper a while ago and I think it goes lovely with the two different pink papers. These colours were inspired by the Lollipop Ladies Challenge - Rainbow Paddlepop Swirls.

Entered into the following challenges:
Crafts and Me Challenges - Stamp Something
Paper Sundaes - Girly Girl
Totally Papercrafts - Summer
The Lollipop Ladies - Rainbow Paddlepop Swirls
The Crafty Pad - Just because you can

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done, great image and wonderfully coloured!

Thanks for joining in on the Lollipop Ladies challenge!

Kerrie said...

Gorgeous and girly... lovely colouring ... great day to spend crafting, so wet and cold...

Jenny said...

So glad you googled that Queens Birthday date thing. My kids were asking me just the other day why her birthday isn't on her birthday. I am off to let them know! I will give you the credit tho' ;)
Thanks so much for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week. You cant get more 'girly girl' than this La La image and your colouring is fabulous!

Helene Bogren said...

Love the way you used the colors! Thanks for playing along at the Lollipop Ladies!

Crystal said...

Such a cute image!! I love your colouring & the layout's great too! Thanks for playing along in our "girly girl" challenge over at Paper Sundaes :)

Vicky said...

What a cutie Tracey...!

thanks for joining us at tpc...and good luck..!

hugs Vicky xx

Shirley-Anne said...

Hi there Tracey .Quite a girly card .Bought back memories of our Daughter playing dress ups .. Perfect colouring .Love it .TFS

Debbie said...

Love it - such a sweet image and beautiful colours. :)
Thanks for joining us at The Crafty Pad Challenge this week. :)

Debbie The Crafty Pad

~♥~The Navy Wife~♥~ said...

This image reminds me of my daughter playing dress-ups! I love the soft colors you have used and your LO is gorgeous! Beautiful card and thank you for sharing and playing along with The Crafty Pad.

*Please consider turning off word verification pretty please :))*

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet image and gorgeous card!
Thanks for sharing with us this week at the Lollipop Ladies :)
Andrea

lexie said...

love your card...thanks for playing along with the lollipop Ladies...oxo